Information Session - May 29 @ 6:00 pm
Broward College, Las Olas Campus
111 E. Las Olas Blvd., 12th Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Register here: https://tinyurl.com/y6lvkp2w
CareerSource Broward's Start-Up Now is a unique entrepreneurship training program in South Florida that helps you bring your innovative ideas to life. We partner with the Innovation Hub @ Broward College to bring you a demanding and profitable hands-on learning experience that will challenge you.
How Start-Up Now Works
Start-Up Now is a rigorous yet rewarding seven month program.
1) We start by introducing you to key concepts in entrepreneurship, marketing and finance that you'll want to know to give you a comfort level when speaking to investors and others.
2) Next, we help you determine product-market fit using a proven methodology and a framework of accountability.
3) If you have that fit, you move on to writing your business plan and developing your pitch - facilitated by a successful serial entrepreneur and with the advice and mentoring of an experienced entrepreneur, investor or C-level professional.
4) Finally, we begin holding you accountable to what you said you would do as you participate in your first CEO peer group.
It's All Yours
We pay for about $25,000 worth of best practices, education and mentoring, plus 12 college credits and the Technical Certificate in Entrepreneurship from Broward College. You, however, pay to start your business and meet specific deliverables. That’s your commitment.
By completing the Start-Up Now program, you:
• Determine your idea’s viability
• Learn to write a rock-solid business plan
• Learn to develop a great pitch
• Use the latest and proven methodology
• Learn from entrepreneurs and investors
• Surround yourself with other hardworking and creative people starting their businesses at the Innovation Hub
• Grow a network of entrepreneurs, investors and high-level executives that will help you as you begin this journey.
• Connect with mentors who bring a lifetime of experience
• Explore opportunities to obtain additional mentoring through The Venture Mentoring Team
• Pursue an opportunity to pitch for seed funding from the J. David Armstrong, Jr. President Emeritus Student Venture Fund.
• Save thousands of dollars on a formal education while earning 12 college credits and a technical certificate in Entrepreneurship from Broward College
Generously supported by our Sponsors
How to Apply
Simply go to our online application and complete it. If you need to copy and paste the link is https://ext.careersourcebroward.com/startUpNow/default.aspx.
Below is a list of the required documentation we need.
• Your resume
• Color copy of your DD-214 (if a veteran)
• Color copy of your proof of Selective Service Registration. Must be registered with the Selective Service System (if born male on or after Jan 1, 1960). Go to www.sss.gov, then click “Registration” then “Check Registration”.)
• Color copy of your signed Social Security card.
• U. S. citizens – color copies of:
○ your driver’s license, AND
○ U.S. issued passport OR birth certificate.
• Non-citizens – color copy of your:
○ resident card OR work permit authorization.
• Florida Residency - Refer to Section #2 on this linked document to see what documents are required prior to starting the program. Key points:
○ Make sure all copies are color copies
○ All documents must be dated, issued or filed at least twelve (12) months before the first day of the program
○ Documents must not be expired
○ Either two items from tier one OR one item from tier one and one item from tier two are required
• OFFICIAL college or high school transcripts. These are sent directly from the high school, college or university. Have these sent to:
○ Electronically: email@example.com
○ Mail: Broward College Admissions, 111 E. Las Olas Blvd., Bldg. 33, Room 219, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
• Acknowledgement Form – Innovation Hub
• Personal Information and Emergency Contacts Form
• Signed Participation Agreement
• Audio/Video/Print Release Form
• Records Release/Consent Form
• FERPA Release Form (Under "This release/disclosure may be made to..." you must type in CareerSource Broward / Start-Up Now. Under "Types of Education Information to Release", you must check “Academic Grades”, “Academic Records” and “Registration”)
If selected to attend our Orientation, you will be notified by email. Invitation to this orientation session does not imply acceptance into the program, but attendance is required. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The South Florida entrepreneurship community is growing. Our County is playing a growing role in this community. Start-Up Now/CareerSource Broward has relationships with the following organizations which can provide opportunities for advice, mentoring and seed funding.
The success rate for start-ups is small. About 50 percent of them fail within the first five years. The reasons are many, from lack of experience to poor pricing/cost issues to simple incompetence. But those that succeed do so for as many reasons. These include prior experience, knowledgeable mentors and a willingness to learn and adjust, among others.
Here are some of our Start-Up Now alumni companies who have been executing their business plans from two months to almost two years.
Innovation Hub @ Broward College
The Innovation Hub @ Broward College opened its doors five years ago under the leadership of Enrique Triay. An engineer by training, financial analyst by experience and a partner in a couple of start-ups, Enrique has his pulse on the South Florida start-up community. He provides sound advice to Start-Up Now entrepreneurs as these launch their businesses.
The Venture Mentoring Team
Bob Nelson and Jim Ryan are co-founders of The Venture Mentoring Team (VMT). This non-profit’s goal is to screen and select the best start-ups for mentoring. Next, they surround them with teams of mentors experienced in the real world of start-ups and successful business operations.
J. David Armstrong, Jr. Student Venture Fund
The biggest challenge for start-ups is the money. Although the South Florida investor community is becoming more comfortable funding start-ups in industries beyond real estate and hospitality, the funding gap for start-ups is still a huge one. This venture fund provides an opportunity – not a guarantee - for students and alumni of Broward College to obtain funding. The competitive selection process may give a shot at those executing well on a strong business plan.
A project of in partnership with
Follow Us On:
Start-Up Now promotes entrepreneur skills and is presented by CareerSource Broward in partnership with the Innovation Hub @ Broward College. Begun under Federal award ED16HDQ0200018 from the Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, Start-Up Now is now privately funded through generous sponsors. The structure, process, selection and final outcomes are those of CareerSource Broward and the Innovation Hub @ Broward College and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Economic Development Administration, the U.S. Department of Commerce or private sponsors. An equal opportunity employer/program.