To receive “Priority of Service” for qualified job training programs, and/or veteran’s employment assistance from a “Jobs for Veterans State Grant” staff member, a customer must meet the definition of “Covered Person” as either an “Eligible Veteran” or “Eligible Spouse.”
The complete definitions for “Eligible Veteran”, “Eligible Spouse,” and other important Veteran’s Program terms can be found below, in the DEFINITIONS
section.Eligibility to Receive Services from a Veteran Representative
To receive services from a Disabled Veteran Outreach Program specialist (commonly known as “DVOPs”, or “Vet Reps”), a customer must:
(A) be a “Covered Person”, and Significant Barriers to Employment Criteria
(B) meet at least one the “Significant Barriers to Employment” criteria as defined in the United States Department of Labor’s (USDOL) Training and Employment Guidance Letters (TEGLs) 19-13 and 20-13.
1. A SPECIAL DISABLED or DISABLED veteran, as those terms are defined in 38 U.S.C § 4211(1) and (3); Special disabled and disabled veterans are those:
- Who are entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs; or,
- Were discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability;
2. Homeless, as defined in Section 103(a) of the Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11302(a));
3. A recently-separated service member, as defined in 38 U.S.C § 4211(6), who at any point in the previous 12 months has been unemployed for 27 or more consecutive weeks;
4. An offender, as defined by the Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA) Section 101(27), who has been released from incarceration within the last 12 months;
5. Lacking a high school diploma or equivalent certificate; or
6. Low-income as defined by WIOA at Sec. 101(25)(B);
7. 18 – 24 years old.
These new regulations, listed as Training and Employment Guidance Letters (TEGLs) No. 19-13 and No. 20-13, are available for review at: http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/corr_list.cfm. Ineligibility to receive services from Veterans’ Program staff DOES NOT negate Priority of Service or preclude participation in any other services.