1. Look everywhere; ask everyone - Spread the message via word-of-mouth and social media that you are looking for a job. Ask your local businesses if they are hiring summer help. The more you ask, the more likely someone will say, “You’re hired!” 2. Know your business – If you want to work for a specific employer or you are offered an interview, find out as much as possible about that business. During an interview your knowledge is sure to impress.
3. First impressions DO matter – Remember to dress for success and present a professional image. At the very least, teens should wear clean, pressed, well-fitting slacks and dress shirts with clean, appropriate shoes. No mini-skirts, crop tops, shorts, sagging jeans and so on.
4. Learn how to apply for a job – Familiarize yourself with how to complete an application. Have a résumé prepared and make sure you take addresses, phone numbers and other contact information you will need to include on an application.
5. Practice interviewing – This may feel awkward at first, but it will help prepare you for the real thing. Practiced answers to routine questions will make you sound more professional. Create your own sales pitch.
6. Follow-up with employers – If you secure an interview, thank the employer, then, follow-up the interview with a thank-you letter. This shows the employer you are serious about the job and can help you stand out.
7. Grades count – Strive for the best grades possible. Showcasing a solid academic record can make you stand out as the best candidate.
8. Volunteer – Involvement and an investment in your community is a positive attribute that will make you shine in the eyes of a potential employer.
9. Be a good employee – Once you’re hired, be punctual! Be attentive, follow rules and regulations and become a positive team player.
10. Get assistance with your search – Visit CareerSource Broward Centers for FREE assistance with writing résumés, practicing interview skills, and looking for open positions online and off. Visit www.careersourcebroward.com to find the location of your nearest Center.